Friday, February 10, 2012

IT'S A LONG TIME UNTIL SPRING

I wish I could open up the hive and have a look!  There is a fair number of dead bees at the entrance of the hive. I have been assured that it is normal to see some dead bees, however there is aIot more than I would like. I am worried that when spring arrives I will not have any bees left.  The bees do have what is called "a cleansing flight".  This means that on a sunny day when the temperature is as low as -1C bees will take a quick,short flight to void feces (bee poop).  Some of these bees die, usually they are old or sick.

2 comments:

  1. It must be distressing to see the dead bees. Poor babies. *wondering what bee poop looks like*

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look closely you can see the bee poo beside the dead bee! Whats even worse that seeing dead bees is hearing them crunch when moving the boxes. The first time I crushed a bee I told it I was sorry.

    ReplyDelete